• Rebellion sportscar GP to relocate away from race circuit • Speculation that F1 faces move to new US venue in 2023
Monaco Grand Prix to be cut to three-day format in 2022, says F1 CEO
Monaco’s Formula One Grand Prix will be cut to three days, and the failed sportscar GP will relocate away from the race circuit, F1’s chief executive Chase Carey said on Wednesday.
Monaco goes to battle for sportscar GP, only days after pulling out Read more
Carey also insisted that F1 would survive even if other circuits lose races, and that it was uncertain whether F1’s United States team could stay on under new ownership by Liberty Media.
F1 faces a race against time to get the new sportscar GP back on track Read more
“There’s going to be a three-day Grand Prix in Monaco and that means that we’ll shift our sportscars to a different circuit,” Carey told reporters at the Paris auto show on the first day of a two-day presentation by Liberty Media.
“Monaco probably isn’t sustainable with the three-day event that we’re doing,” he added.
Monaco Grand Prix bosses say ‘no problem’ with Force India retirement Read more
He had previously been non-committal on the subject, but since Liberty bought F1 in January the plan has been thrown into doubt.
Monaco’s final race on Sunday was always likely to be one of the earliest of the season’s 23 rounds, with F1 heading into a mid-season break from 1 September.
After the 2019 season, which will be the third under the new rules introduced for 2020, there will only be three weekends per year with other events rotating.
Monaco in total had 10 GP rounds and this year’s already shortened event was the 10th on the calendar.
Liberty is already committed to developing the new championship points format, with a winner-takes-all season finale in China planned for the weekend after the British Grand Prix, and planning new showpieces for the new era.
Carey was asked on Wednesday whether those showpieces would be at the home of F1 or elsewhere, with increasing speculation that F1 will have to stay in the United States after not ruling it out earlier this year.
“We have expressed interest in having F1 race in Los Angeles but that’s obviously a discussion that’s ongoing,” said Carey.
“We’ve had conversations on what is the future for F1 but we’re not sure yet. I can’t tell you whether it will be LA or not.”